We are both really good at forgetting things and having to do them in a mad panic just before we go away. In order to help ourselves become a little more organised we have a list system so we thought we’d share it with you to save your having to write your own.
If you are travelling with kids we have written a separate checklist
There is something quite satisfying about ticking things off on a piece of paper so if you click here Holiday checklist you will get a PDF that you can print off should you be so minded!
When you book your flight / accommodation
- Buy travel insurance
- Apply for your ESTA
1 month before you travel
- Book car hire
- Buy any additional insurances in relation to the hire car
- Arrange airport parking and / or hotels
1 week before you travel
- Decide how you will pay for things on your trip
- Notify your bank / credit card provider if you will be using a credit or debit card abroad if required
- Cancel any regular deliveries to your house
- Arrange care for any pets / plants to be watered etc
72 hours before you travel
- Confirm your ESTA has come through! This is your last chance to get it if you haven’t before!
24 hours before you travel
Gather together the following:
- Tickets / e-tickets
- Copy of ESTA confirmation (not needed but can be useful)
- Details of your travel insurance
- Driving licence including paper counterfoil if you are hiring a car
- Money / credit cards etc
- Details of the place you are staying (you will need this for your customs declaration so ensure it is in your hand luggage)
- Label the inside of any hold luggage clearly with your name, address, phone number and e-mail address.
- Empty the fridge of the stuff that’s been lurking in the back for ages!